Saturday, May 07, 2005

Written on Blue

Among those hobbies of mine that are quite eccentric, I must admit that I find my collecting and archiving letters and notes the most enjoyable of them all...

Every summer vacation, when I come to cleaning out my closet (as in literally) I find something new in my letters that leave me amazed... This year, it's no different...

Among the 6,000 or so letters that I possess, (yes, it already reached more than 6,000..) three of them caught my attention. Hidden among the piles and piles of whitish chaos of bits and pieces of paper, were sheets in tinges of overly distinguishable blue...

Last night, as I separated the triad of letters written in blue and started to read them one by one, I was surprised all the same..

"Coincidentally", all three of them were sad letters....

The first "blue" letter dated back when I was still in Grade 2.. It was from a friend... a best friend.... It was to say he was leaving to study elsewhere... I remember crying when I first read it as an 8 year old boy... The thought of someone very close to me leaving crushed me deep within... He was THE friend of all friends... There was so many things we shared. Not a moment was dull when we were together... And although it's actually almost a decade since he left, I still can feel deep sorrow whenever I read it... Yes, the grammar was a bit off-the-line, his handwriting crooked from left to right, and the lead of his pencil smudged most of the paper into a greysih tint... Still, that letter leaves me trying to suppress a tear from within me..

The second letter was written when I was in 1st year... It was from my best friend, (the same one that wrote me the first "blue" letter)... There was really nothing sad about it.. In fact, he was full of bliss as he was telling me how he enjoyed it there, how he met new friends, how he visited all the places there.. He even invited me there, saying that he's excited to show me the place... The reason why this letter also crushed me, was because of the accident that shortly happened after he wrote this letter. A few minutes afterwards, he went out and got ran over by a truck... He was rushed to the hospital, and yet the doctors weren't able to save him.. He was dead on arrival.. I really was speechless when I found out... One minute, we were planning to get together again after so many years, and the next thing you know, he's no longer here with me and there is no way for us to be together again..

When I put the second "blue" letter down, I could barely suppress the outburst of emotions from within my heart. And yet, I wanted to finish the last letter...

And so I did..

The last "blue" letter, was, unlike the first two, from a girl, and was given to me just two months ago, on our highschool graduation ceremony.. It was, like the first letter, written for the purpose of saying goodbye, and yet unlike it, was under an entirely different reason, which, I am sorry to say, is a little bit sheer stupidity.. I won't deny that I am sad when I read it, but I aslo feel a pang of fury.. Sheer disappointment... No other reason... Just sheer disappointment.. I had expected a much more rational decision, and yet, a turned back was all I got... And no other line in that letter added more salt to the injury than this..

"If our friendship is not destroyed because of this letter, then keep in touch.." (Words altered to protect the identity of the sender)

What a preposterous joke...

Still, it was her decision... Nothing to argue about that...

Anyways, all of the letters written on blue....... WERE blue...

Coincidence??

Maybe.....

I just hope, that the next letter written on blue...

Would not be as blue as those three anymore....