Monday, May 09, 2005

A Little Light on A Stormy Mother's Day

Usually, when the second Sunday of May falls, our whole family schedule's busy... The usual mother's day would start solemnly with a Sunday mass, continue on with a shopping spree, and end with a satisfying, quiet dinner outside...

Today, however, things didn't go exactly as planned...

Oh, our schedules were busy alright.. It's actually one of our busiest days ever..

I woke up today at 6am.. But it wasn't to buy a cake or a present for mom.. It was to go to our shop and receive some stocks that was supposed to be delivered yesterday afternoon.. It took my entire morning out.. By the time I got home, I smelled like a thousand year-old carton box and was utterly wretched...

I found nobody at the house and had satisfied myself into thinking that my dad and my mom continued on without me.. Now that's a happy thought, I thought to myself. At least mom's having a great time.. I went to take a shower and had barely wiped my hair dry before the phone rang into a deafening shriek...

"Hello?"

"DJ?? Kamusta ung mga stocks?" It was my dad.. "Wala naman damage noh? Kung sakali itawag mo na lang sa supplier natin. Alam mo naman number diba?"

"Okay lang.. Nacheck ko na lahat.. Nothing seems to be damaged."

"Okay.. Sige may meeting kasi ako e.. Oo nga pala, pwede ba samahan mo mom mo sa mall? 3 pa kasi uwi ko e.. May emergency meeting.."

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

"Ha?? Hindi ba kayo magkasama ni mommy?"

"Hindi. Pag-alis mo may emergency call ako natanggap. Kailangan magmeeting eh... Bakit wala ba siya diyan?"

"Wala eh.."

"Ah.. Baka nainip na yun.. Siguro umalis na lang mag-isa.."

"Siguro nga."

"Sige anak, gotta go.."

CLICK!

My dad hung up before I could say another word..

Well, probably mom did go alone, alright.. She was never that patient in waiting anyways..

I was beginning to go out again to recheck the stocks when I noticed a sheet of paper hastily stuck on the placemat..

"Ano to??"

I picked it up and began to read it..

"Sinugod si am'a sa ospital."

WHAT !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Before I knew it, I was on the road on my way to the hospital... It was 1pm when I arrived.. I silently crept inside the room where my grandmother was confined... She was sleeping silently with my mom sitting beside her.

Diagnosis: PNEUMONIA

I was crushed... I began crying silent tears... Everything is so wrong.. We weren't able to celebrate mother's day.. My grandmother is sick and who knows if she'll be saved?

Just then the doctor came in..

"Don't worry... Hindi pa grabe pneumonia niya.. Kakaumpisa pa lang. Gagaling pa siya."

Thank God for that!!

To top it all up, my grandmother's friend arrived and relieved my mom... (Where the heck is my uncle?!?!?!) She was able to shop a little, although she kept worrying about granny's condition.. And although thing's weren't exactly as planned, seeing my mom smiled from time to time was the greatest thing I ever saw for quite a while.. XD

Mother's day this year for me was a bit stormy..

But at least there was still some light..

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL!! XD