Saturday, March 22, 2008

Recourse

"So in love ka nga?

I rolled my eyes for the fifth time. "Hindi na nga! Bat ba ang kulit mo?"

People turned to look at our table, flabbergasted, perhaps, at my unsuccessful attempt to control my own temper. Q, the annoying, little twat, tried his best to apologize profusely, while I managed to get in a few deep breaths myself.

He finally went back to look at me, as the last of the scandalized diners turned away. It was his turn to roll his eyes. "E paano ba naman kase ako maniniwala sa'yo? Sabi mo nakalimutan mo na siya pero pumayag ka pa rin?"

Now that was a perfectly fair question. Why, indeed?

That Thursday night, she was there. Perhaps, I had felt a bit more forgiving, then; I figured we hadn't talked for six weeks and it was a holiday. It could have been the right thing to do, I suppose. After all, she was still her.

"Favor nga kase 'yun," I replied, remembering why we had talked that evening in the first place. She was apparently leaving for Florida, and maybe, it was because of that. It was because I knew that it may very well be our last that I naturally wanted at least one good memory for her to remember me by.

"E bat dun sa isa?" He struggled to find the name. "Ano na ule pangalan nun?"

"Kristine," I pointed out.

"O, 'yun. Bat hindi ka naman pumunta, e sa U.S.T. na lang nga 'yun e."

"Iba nga kase 'yun," I said half exasperatingly, trying to sound as honest as possible. "May pasok pa kaya ako nun. Besides, ginagawa ko pa 'yung project namin."

Isn't it funny? Just when we thought we've finally managed to move on, someone makes us realize we really haven't. Sure, we've gotten away from it since the fourteenth, boards fizzing, sparking, burning enough to keep our heads distracted but only for so long until the project's finally done. Call it propensity, my knack of resurrecting what would have otherwise been erstwhile feelings for this particular so and so, Q's nosing around which almost always had me cornered, and my inexplicably winding up in that unmistakable doctor love moment. I guess it always showed that I really hadn't moved on. Why else would I have talked to Kanny about it in the first place? Barring that, why would I ask Q what he thought about her asking me a favor.

He was winning from the start, and he realized it. "Sus, aminin mo na kase."

Maybe, just maybe, I know nothing of stoicism. It isn't that I know nothing of sacrifices, but I guess there's just that romantic hobnobbing a sentimental schmoe like me never passes up. So we thank God for favors, for fish wrapped in paper bags and tiramisu's in little cups, because that gives us the excuse to be with them even for a while.