Thursday, January 31, 2008

Truisms

"I heard type daw niya dati yung brother ng classmate niya," Kev remarked, as we trudged along Estrada, towards, it seemed, the setting sun. It was five, and he was running late.

"Yeah, I know," I said absentmindedly. My heart had skipped a beat. Was I supposed to feel that?

Gabriela, pink, floppy eared and all, was no longer in the large bag I've brought to Taft as we made our own way home. The words "You're sweet and special!" had stayed with her, with the three flowers I've tucked along the silver bracelet adorned with the symbolic lock. She blushed as I gave them to her, Kev would insist. I could've said she was only being diplomatic about things, but I relented, because, well, I believed him. She would later tell me that I was sweet, and she liked the roses - yeeeess!!

As the train swerved, and writhed its way, six stations to Doroteo Jose, our hands pressed against the cabin door, sardined among a hundred men, over, I recall, a conversation on a particularly toxic shellfish and Sherlock Holmes just minutes later, I realized that the other thought had far from eluded me.

"Hindi pwede 'tong nararamdaman ko."

Eventually, it becomes imperative; when something clicks, you'll find yourself in square one. We may, as stubborn as we are, deny a simple truth, but for all we know, it shall, of course, remain as one, until, perhaps, that funny feeling truly begins to fade away. Until then, you'll still waver when she smiles, and blush when she looks right back.

Me? I'm on cloud nine.